Senate candidate Bikram Mohanty: Undisclosed business property
The information on Atlanta Unfiltered is free to all — except me. Open records requests, research tools, car expenses, insurance, website maintenance – not to mention my time — all cost me money. Atlanta Unfiltered needs your financial support to continue following the money in Georgia politics. Someone’s gotta do it. Use the Donate button on this page to help me produce more articles like this one.
Leaders in the public sector have plenty of public resources to promote their political views, accomplishments and experience. Often the public record holds much more: personal and campaign finance disclosures, expense reports, and business, tax and court filings. Here’s what they show:
Bikram Keshari Mohanty
Running for Senate, District 8 (Lowndes, Brooks, Clinch, Cook, Echols, Lanier & Thomas counties)
Mohanty’s 2014 personal financial disclosure omits his ownership, through Eureka Properties LLC, of two small residential lots and the building where his business is located. Mohanty said he didn’t know the properties were supposed to be disclosed. “I’m not trying to hide anything,” he said. Georgia law requires that candidates disclose real estate in which they have a “direct ownership interest”; a 1998 attorney general’s opinion held that also requires disclosure of property owned by a candidate’s business interests if he has “a legally enforceable right to use the land for his own personal enjoyment or profit.” Many Georgia legislators and candidates appear to be unfamiliar with the opinion.
Mohanty owes $500 in late filing fees as of October 2014, according to the state ethics commission’s website.
- Ran for state Senate in 2012, pulling 38% of the vote in losing to incumbent Tim Golden.
- Running for the same seat in 2014 after Golden’s retirement, facing Rep. Ellis Black in the November general election.
- Occupational therapist.
Business ownership interests
- Owner, Innovative Rehab Solutions LLC.
- Owner, Eureka Properties, real estate holding company.
- Owner, Innovative Physicians LLC.
Other fiduciary positions
- Board member, Mother Teresa Foundation, Valdosta, Ga.
- Former board member, Georgia Occupational Therapy Association.
Real estate holdings
- Personal residence in Valdosta valued at $178,000
- Single-family home in Valdosta valued at $83,000
- UNDISCLOSED: Commercial building valued at $349,000 in Valdosta where Mohanty’s business is located.
- UNDISCLOSED: Two small unimproved residential lots in Valdosta valued at $22,000 each.
- None disclosed.
Payments from state agencies
- None disclosed.
Donors have given more than $57,000 to Mohanty’s campaigns since 2012. (Mohanty also loaned his 2012 campaign $10,187.) The breakdown of donations by election cycle:
- 2012: $37,992
- 2013-14: $19,077
- Reported cash on hand (Oct. 2014): $6,112
- $1,600 Democratic Sens. Steve Henson & Emanuel Jones
- $3,600 Dhirendra Kar, CEO, Business Intelligence Professionals Pvt Ltd., Morrisville, NC
- 3000 Doug Rusk, IT consultant, Seattle, Wash.
- $2,500 Human Technology Inc., Jackson, Tenn.
- $2,350 Constant Care PC & Dr. Nirmala Padhiar, Valdosta, Ga.
- $2,101 Hi-Tech Prosthetics & Orthotics, Paris, Tenn.
- $1,500 American Occupational Therapy Association PAC
- $1,500 Aditya Samal, physician, Houston, Texas
- In 2012, Mohanty’s campaign reimbursed an aide for $367 and $332 for printing expenses without identifying the end recipient as required by the state ethics commission’s rules.
Posted by Jim Walls, Nov. 1, 2014