ATL District 1: Carla Smith
Atlanta Unfiltered needs your financial support to continue our reporting and analysis of money in Georgia politics — a topic rarely explored by other news outlets. Use the Donate button on this page to help us produce more articles like this one.
Leaders in the public sector have plenty of public resources to promote their political views, accomplishments and experience. Often much more can be found in the public record: personal and campaign finance disclosures, expense reports, and business, tax and court filings. Here’s what they show:
Carla Ann Smith
Carla Smith, seeking her fourth term on City Council, has raised a relatively modest $158,000 in campaign funds since 2001. Of her $148,000 in itemized donations, real-estate development interests gave at least $56,050, or 38 percent, an analysis of campaign disclosures shows. Engineers and other construction contractors kicked in another $9,900. The Atlanta Braves, who play their home games in District 1, along with Turner Field food vendor Aramark and broadcaster TBS donated $8,900 between them.
- Worked as administrative assistant to City Council member Vern McCarty from 1994 to 2001, when he chose not to seek re-election.
- Elected to McCarty’s Council seat in 2001, winning a runoff with 69% of the vote. She defeated future Common Cause Georgia director William Perry and three other candidates.
- Re-elected in 2005 and 2009 with no opposition.
- Re-elected in 2013 with 77 percent of the vote.
- City Utilities
- Member, Atlanta City Council.
- No other outside income greater than $5,000 disclosed.
Business ownership interests
Other fiduciary positions
- None disclosed.
Real estate holdings
- Personal residence valued at $133,000.
- None disclosed.
Conflicts of Interest
Donors have given more than $158,000 to Smith’s campaign committee since 2001. The breakdown by election cycle:
- 2001: $39,615
- 2002-05: $42,296
- 2006-09: $41,988
- 2010-13: $36,050
- Reported cash on hand (Oct. 25, 2013): $22,127
- $5,150 Atlanta Braves
- $4,900 Vern McCarty, developer & former city council member
- $4,500 A Tow Atlanta Inc.
- $4,000 The Buckhead Coalition, community advocacy
- $4,000 McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, law/lobbying firm
- $4,000 Six Feet Under LLC, restaurant
- $3,000 Atlantic Station LLC
- $3,000 MWH/KHAFRA Joint Venture, engineering & program management
- $2,500 Braden/Fellman Group Ltd., property management
- $2,500 Master ConcessionAir LLC/Worldwide Concessions, Miami, Fla.
- $2,500 Kasim Reed for Mayor Inc.
- $2,500 Wilson Brock & Irby LLC, law firm
Candidates may make political donations with campaign funds, allowing prolific fund-raisers to share their contributions with other legislators or candidates. Some advocacy groups believe such transfers should be limited to an aggregate of $10,000 per election cycle. Smith’s committee made these contributions:
- 2002-05: $4,500
- 2006-09: $1,000
- 2010-13: $2,500
Posted Oct. 30, 2013; updated Nov. 21, 2013.