register for email updates
Rep. Scott Holcomb (HD 81)
The information on Atlanta Unfiltered is free to all — except me. Use the Donate button on this page to help produce more articles like this one.
Michael Scott Holcomb (D-Atlanta)
District 81 (DeKalb & Gwinnett counties)
Scott Holcomb is one of several Atlanta-area legislators whose financial support comes from, well, other Atlanta-area lawyers.
Lawyers and law firms from the metro area have given Holcomb’s campaign more than $98,000 — roughly one-fourth of his total contributions. Other attorneys have donated $30,000 more.
Members of Holcomb’s wife’s family have given more than $44,000 to his campaigns for the Legislature and secretary of state.
- Finished 5th in 2006 in a crowded field of Democrats running for Secretary of State.
- Elected 2010 to the House without opposition, qualifying after incumbent Kevin Levitas backed out of the race.
- Re-elected 56-44% in 2012 and 53-47% in 2014.
- Re-elected 59-41% in 2016 over Republican candidate Lane Flynn.
- Defense & Veterans Affairs (2012 – present)
- Higher Education (2013 – present)
- Judiciary (2017 – )
- Juvenile Justice (2013 – present)
- Public Safety and Homeland Security (2011 – present)
- Children & Youth (2011 – 2012)
- Motor Vehicles (2011)
- Attorney; general, counsel, J.P. Turner & Co. LLC (investment advisors)
- Member, The Holcomb Law Firm LLC.
- Vice president, Synergy Global Ventures LLC, consulting.
Other fiduciary positions
- None disclosed.
- Personal residence in DeKalb County, valued at $476,000.
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Home Depot
Payments from state agencies
- None disclosed.
Holcomb has raised more than $383,000 in campaign donations. The breakdown by election cycle:
- 2005-06: $87,134
- 2010: $25,176
- 2011-12: $105,435
- 2013-14: $66,463
- 2015-16: $99,145
- Reported cash on hand (Oct. 2016): $69,649
- $21,251 Sen. Elena Parent and other Democratic lawmakers
- $44,700 Dr. Sang Wan Oh, Reidsville, Ga., and other in-laws
- $19,625 Georgia Trial Lawyers Association & leadership
- $16,012 Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP and its attorneys
- $13,500 Drs. Brandon and Christine Kang, Gwinnett Medical Center
- $10,800 International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers 11500
- $10,427 Kenneth Dious, Athens, Ga., attorney
- $10,300 Donna & Douglas Curling, Roswell, Ga., former president ChoicePoint Inc.
- $8,125 lawyers at Morgan & Morgan PC
- $7,500 Heather Curtis, Versailles, Ky., COO Fark.com LLC (Internet news aggregator)
- $5,450 Joseph White, Atlanta, Ga., attorney Fried & Bonder LLC
- $5,000 Kevin Aniskovich, Branford, Conn., senior management Health Forward Inc.
- $4,500 Red Clay Democrats PAC
- $4,050 attorneys at Greenberg Traurig LLP
- $4,000 attorneys at Henry Spiegel Milling LLP
- $3,250 attorneys at Bondurant Mixson & Elmore
- $3,001 John Messina, New York., N.Y., attorney Bank of America
- $3,000 International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- $2,600 David Dechman, New York, N.Y., CEO Summit Rock Advisors
- $2,600 Jon Stryker, New York, N.Y., president, Arcus Foundation
- $2,500 Chris Abele, county manager, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- $2,500 Anthony Dec Mason LC, Buford, Ga., law firm
- $2,500 Georgia Association of Educators
Campaign to campaign
Candidates may give campaign funds to other candidates, a practice that some say provides a legal means to circumvent contribution limits. A 2003 bill to ban such transfers altogether passed in the Senate but died in the House. Holcomb’s committee made these political donations:
- 2010: $2,900
- 2011-12: $3,000
- 2013-14: $5,250
- 2015-16: $6,300
Since 2006, lobbyists have reported paying $174 for meals and other gifts for Holcomb. The big spender:
- $51 Georgia Municipal Association
Committee days & travel expenses
When out of session, lawmakers may collect $173 per day plus mileage for committee meetings or other official business. Lawmakers living within 50 miles of the Capitol are taxed on these payments, which were originally intended to cover out-of-town members’ food and lodging.
- 2011: $374 (2 days)
- 2012: $0
- 2013: $775 (4 days)
- 2014: $775 (4 days)
- 2015: $0
Updated Jan. 15, 2017