register for email updates
ATL schools Dist. 8: Cynthia Briscoe Brown
Atlanta Unfiltered needs your financial support to continue our reporting and analysis of money in Georgia politics — a topic rarely explored by other news outlets. Use the Donate button on this page to help us produce more articles like this one.
Leaders in the public sector have plenty of public resources to promote their political views, accomplishments and experience. Often much more can be found in the public record: personal and campaign finance disclosures, expense reports, and business, tax and court filings. Here’s what they show:
Cynthia Briscoe Brown
A first-time political candidate, Cynthia Briscoe Brown has raised $19,000 in campaign donations this year, compared to opponent Reuben McDaniel’s nearly $60,000.
- Brown, making her first run for public office, finished second with 26% of the vote in the November 2013 general election. She collected 66% to defeat board chairman Reuben McDonald in a Dec. 3 runoff.
- Attorney, Brown & Brown Legal Services P.C.
Business ownership interests
- Brown & Brown Legal Services P.C. Brown said much of her practice involves representing small businesses, often as the equivalent of a general counsel.
- Board member, Alliance Francaise d’Atlanta Inc., non-profit educational and cultural organization.
- Board member, Atlanta Partnership for Arts in Learning Inc.
- CEO, Major Auto Sales Inc., a Cartersville dealership formerly run by Brown’s late father.
- CEO, MB Financial Inc., Cartersville, Ga., automobile financing.
- Secretary, Brown & Brown Legal Services P.C.
- Trustee, North Atlanta High School Foundation.
Real estate holdings
- Personal residence valued at $387,000.
- None disclosed.
Friends and Family
- New York University professor Diane Ravitch, an author and public-education advocate, has endorsed Brown.
Donors gave nearly $45,001 to Brown’s campaign through Nov. 27.
- Reported cash on hand: $18,685
- $2,000 E. Reid Garrett, attorney
- $1,300, Bradley Currey Jr., retired chairman/CEO Rock-Tenn Co.
- $1,100 Daniel Plaut, Asheville, N.C., education administration
- $1,000 Angela Boardman, design consultant, The Curtain Exchange
- $1,000 Fine and Block, an Atlanta law firm with which her husband is affiliated
- $1,000 The Buckhead Coalition
- $1,000 Mary Norwood, City Council member-elect
- $1,000 Thomas L. Shields Jr., retired
- $1,000 Camille Yow
Posted Dec. 3, 2013