• atlanta mainstream

DeKalb housing chief quits as feds continue probe

The executive director of the DeKalb County Housing Authority resigned this week as federal investigators continued to pore over the agency’s financial records.

Sterling Bethea submitted his resignation Tuesday, giving two weeks’ notice, said George Maddox, a member of the authority’s board of commissioners.

Investigators from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s inspector general have been in Decatur going over agency records for “about a month,” Maddox said. The agency operates public housing units and subsidizes rent in privately owned homes and apartments on a $70 million annual budget.

Maddox said he did not know whether Bethea’s departure had any connection to that ongoing review.

“He just decided that he wanted to move on,” Maddox said in an interview, “and to be honest with you we didn’t have a problem with it.”

Maddox declined to elaborate on the board’s issues with Bethea, but he said the board did not force him to leave.

“We didn’t ask for his resignation,” Maddox said. “We were just praying.”

Bethea announced his resignation Tuesday afternoon in this e-mail to colleagues:

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

It has been my pleasure and privilege to serve and work with DeKalb County Government for the past eleven years.  My last day of employment as the Executive Director of the Housing Authority of DeKalb County (HADC) will be Friday, June 11, 2010. I wanted to let you all know personally from me before you heard it from someone else. The County and staff has been a great partner to the Housing Authority and myself over the years. I’ve been truly fortunate to work with some of the finest leaders in government throughout the county, the metro Atlanta region and state, national and international community.  It has been a pleasure working with all of you and I truly have grown both personally and professional from this experience.

My tenure with DeKalb County has been among the most professionally rewarding experiences of my life and I’m truly grateful. I wish all of you the best in continuing this critically important work in communities all around our country. I am sure that I will cross paths with many of you in the years to come.

Thank you for the great opportunity to serve the Citizens of DeKalb County.

————–

Atlanta Unfiltered relies exclusively on your financial support. If this article has value to you, why not make a financial contribution to help us do our work? Use the handy “donate” button on the homepage, or contact us at editor@atlantaunfiltered.com if you wish to send a check. We’re not picky. Contributions are NOT tax deductible for now.

If you’d like your donation to benefit a particular one of our underpaid (OK — unpaid) correspondents, let us know so we can share the wealth.

20 Responses to “DeKalb housing chief quits as feds continue probe”

1. Need Integrity says:

When will the feds investigate members of the DeKalb Housing Authority Board of Commissioners? Let’s start with Mr. Maddox. It makes no sense for the seniors to be afraid of not buying a board member’s insurance policy for fear that they will be kicked out of their housing. Shame…Shame…Shame…Mr. Maddox!

2. Y, Broady says:

When will the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s inspector general investigate the entire (HADC) agency? Mr. Bethea may have given his resignation but not soon enough. The (HADC) board of commissioners has known of trouble with the agency for a while and nothing was done. The agency financial status should never have gotten to the state that it’s presently in. Not only should Mr. Bethea be leaving the (HADC) agency so should the entire board of commissioners, *Mr. Matthew McClammey (Deputy Executive Director) soon to be the(Interim Executive Director), *Alroi Anderson (Operations Manager) and ALL other upper and lower managers that worked under Mr. Bethea with the exception of Bambie Hayes (FSS and Home Ownership Manager). The management team misused their authority in so many ways. In order for the (HADC) agency to move forward and improve great changes MOST be made. HUD needs to take over (HADC) until it is operating and functioning in a positive state. The Current management has had it’s opportunity and has failed the Dekalb community and the administrating staff.

3. Wow says:

I agree that HADC needs an overhaul. The board needs to keep quiet because the state of the agency falls on them as well so I say to the board of commissioners, pray on yourself as well because you are just as big a blame as he is. Now that Matthew McClammey is next in line maybe there will be some changes that will turn the agency around. He should feel like President Obama right now having to clean up the mess that has been made which is not all the fault of Mr. Bethea. Now Mr. McClammey has to take this crap hand he has been dealt and turn it into something beautiful. So Broady instead of being negative how about pray that God gives him direction on what to do next so that the people of DeKalb county nor the few good employees within the agency will suffer. You may also want to pray that you have a job next week. Good luck!

4. Broady says:

Back to Really now, Its not good to assume and no one opinion is silly. As I said before ALL upper and lower management needs to leave. Laura Roberts fits into the ALL. Bambie Hayes may or may not know everything about the programs that she manage however, she show’s more progress than other manages and at least has a clue. You said it yourself and I quote “Most of the upper management in the agency are over areas that they have no clue as to how they function”. Although the funding is HIGHLY important all areas within the (HADC) agency needs great improvement. I don’t think that the case workers are idiots I think they have been misguided and mismanaged. They have done what they were told to do. If they’er idiots then what does that say about the hiring managers and the managers that keep them employed. Um, I don’t have to much to say in reference to the intelligence of any of the upper/lower mgrs. however, there were something that they could have done. They are just complacent in there positions. As for Mr. McClammey he may or may not have had a great impact on making decisions but there were things he could have done as well. At the end of the day you nor I are the deciding fact, it’s just our opinion. I respect yours and hope you respect mine.

5. Broady says:

Back to Wow, As with any new President it’s out with the old and in with the new. If you follow sports at the end of a season if the team did’nt have a winning season the head coach, practice coach, gereral mgr. and sometimes the star player must go. Granted it’s a unfortunate situation but as President Obama said it’s time for a change and “yes we can”. (HADC) has operated under poor conditions for so long now a change for the better can only help. If that change mean that ALL upper/lower managers and even Bambie Hayes must go then so be it. The employees in most cases are only as good as the managers. When employees fails so does the managers in most cases. The body can’t function if the head is not functioning well. Most importantly the tenants well being should be the (HADC) main forcus and if that mean great change then change it must be, because that is why everyone is there. If Mr. McClammey stays I hope he make the right changes for the better of all and not just some. I always look to the hills for which my health comes from, I know GOD sits high and look low so I don’t worry about next week, I just thank him for today. I don’t believe in good luck I believe in good blessings. Everyone has their opinion I respect yours and hope you respect mine.

6. Wow says:

@Broady, Yes God sits high and looks low but how can he honor someone who is putting an agency on blast. I always look to the hills from whence cometh my HELP knowing that my help cometh from the Lord. As I honor him he will honor me. If I dishonor him he will dishonor me. No matter what my feelings are about what is going on at HADC one thing I know for sure is that they will not be solved by negativity and blasting people. If the employees of HADC would band together rather than try to tear each other apart they might actually get something accomplished. The crab bucket mentality has gone on too long and has done nothing but tear the agency down. Unfortunately people are only concerned with covering themselves that they don’t see that. So I say to you instead of spewing your vermin, pray about it then see what you can do to pitch in and help to rebuild the morale and trust within the Housing Authority of DeKalb County. That’s just my opinion. God bless you!

7. Broady says:

Back to Really now, I agree with you in most of your statements. You are absolutly right and I agree “It’s just a big mess that needs to be cleaned up quickly”.

8. Broady says:

Back to Wow, I didn’t put HADC on blast, HADC put themselve on blast for the last four to five years with HUD and OIG investigating. The writing was on the walls. I think before you deem me to be negativity you should really check your statements and I quote ” (He should feel like President Obama right now having to clean up the mess that has been made which is not all the fault of Mr. Bethea. Now Mr. McClammey has to take this crap hand he has been dealt and turn it into something beautiful), (so that the people of DeKalb county nor the few good employees within the agency will suffer), (The crab bucket mentality has gone on too long and has done nothing but tear the agency down), (Unfortunately people are only concerned with covering themselves that they don’t see that)”. Sounds like you got some negative spewing vermin yourself or is it regurgitation. It’s called freedom of speech, you don’t have to agree with what people say but respect their opinion.I respect yours and hope you respect mine. I pray for the good of all people and all things but I will not put my trust in anything or anybody before God. My relationship with God is AWESOME! and I’m glad you honor him too.

9. Wow says:

@Broady, no negativity just responding to the article and prior responses by you and others. However, I will address your concerns; the crab bucket mentality purely describes a way of thinking. Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket, describes a way of thinking best described by the phrase “if I can’t have it, neither should you.” The metaphor refers to a pot of crabs. Singly, the crabs could easily escape from the pot, but instead, they grab at each other in a useless “king of the hill” competition, which prevents any from escaping and ensures their collective demise. The analogy in human behavior is that of a group that will attempt to “pull down” (negate or diminish the importance of) any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of jealousy or competitive feelings. This trait can strike at several levels of life, like in office environments, particularly on promotion. It is a reflection of the famous saying “we all like to see our friends get ahead, but not too far ahead.” The statement of him feeling like President Obama was based on your statement as well as the article, HUD and the inspector general do not come in just to be pretty, there is usually a mess involved. The few good employees was also based on your statement of “Not only should Mr. Bethea be leaving the (HADC) agency so should the entire board of commissioners, *Mr. Matthew McClammey (Deputy Executive Director) soon to be the(Interim Executive Director), *Alroi Anderson (Operations Manager) and ALL other upper and lower managers that worked under Mr. Bethea with the exception of Bambie Hayes (FSS and Home Ownership Manager). The management team misused their authority in so many ways.” So if you want to take out all of the upper and lower management what does that leave, a few good employees. So no it is not spewing out vermin it is responding to the statements that you made. I certainly respect your opinion I was just offering an alternate way of thinking about it. Oh and putting people’s names out there is kind of putting them on blast. Just see what you can do to help it is certainly much more effective. As a resident of DeKalb County and one who once used the programs offered by HADC I am praying for all of you. I am thankful for those who helped me in my time of need after Katrina because I do not what I would have done without them. God bless you and I wish you all the best.

10. Broady says:

Back to Wow, As I stated It’s called FREEDOM OF SPEECH, you don’t have to agree with what people say but respect their opinion. I respect yours and hope you respect mine. However you explain it bottom line is it’s an opoinion and a way of thinking. Oh I wasn’t spewing out vermin EITHER I was just responing to the article and prior responses by you and others. I don’t need your offer of an alternate way of thinking and if putting people’s names out there is on blast, then BLAST! away. You said what you wanted to say and how you wanted to say it and so did I. There is nothing that you nor I can do to help HADC at this point. We could pray but everybody can’t pray for everybody because everybody don’t have the proper armor to do so. I hope the best for the case workers and all of the administrating staff because they didn’t make the rules or the decisions when the mgrs said do it this way, they did. When the mgrs. changed and said no do it that way, they did. But most of all I hope the best for the tenants. I’m glad HADC was there in your time of need, but now they are in great need of a great change and not a patch up, bandaid job (Trademark for a small prepared bandage, a temporary superficial remedy for a serious or complex problem). PEACE BE WITH YOU!

11. Wow says:

@Broady, it’s all just opinions honey. Obviously a band-aid job will not do since the “mess” is so huge which is why I used the word overhaul (to renovate, remake, revise or renew). Going by your words it would be correct to say that you are a Christian? These are the scriptures that I try to live by because regardless of what people do, I refuse to stoop down to a level or offer an opinion that may separate me from the love of God. I understand that death and life are in the power of the tongue. I don’t ever want my words to be a reason something bad happens regardless of how much my flesh feels the person deserves it. Matthew 5:44-45 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. That fact is also reiterated in Luke 6:27-28. Point being regardless of what has been done as a Christian we are commissioned to be bigger than that. You do come across a little bitter so I would suggest that you forgive them and move on because it is not worth it. I certainly respect your opinion. Do you. Not judging you at all, just enjoying conversation nothing more. Be blessed.

12. It's About Time says:

There is no Honor Among Theives,

Sterling, Matthew, Laura {Roberts} and the Current Board {with the exception of maybe 2}conspired to terminate the previous Adminstration for their personal gain { no love lost for them either} but instead robbed the Authority, some Employees but most importantly theTax Payers for their personal gain.

Matthew is not deemed to guide nor lead this Organization anymore than the devil was to take charge of Heaven. His Ass got kicked out and theirs need to go alone with his.

Also first class reservations need to be made for Alroi,Denise, Fred, Gary,Henri,Janet, Ken, Meyers and Sabrina. They all have dark hearts and minds so they should be good company for each other.

Hopefully once all of the infection has been treated the Authority can be released from the Intensive Care Unit and the healing process can begin.

Signed Not A Hater But A Motivator

13. Hmph says:

@It’s about time, if you know all of this then doesn’t that make you just as guilty? Did you just sit back and watch it happen and say nothing? It sounds like you need to go in the pile of bones with the rest of them. Judging by your tone of bitterness I guess you are not suited to run HADC yourself. Obviously not since no one ran to you to take over. Are you mad because you did not get promoted or a raise dear? It sounds like you are a part of the problem as well so hopefully they will send you right a long with the crew. God don’t like ugly so I hope you are ready to eat your words. Karma is a beast!

14. Broady says:

Back to Wow, I will not elaborate on my religious status! As I stated before ” My relationship with God is AWESOME! and I’m glad you honor him too”. Two people’s can read the same bible and clearly interpret differently. Im not bitter just REAL about the situation. Since you are good about given suggestion and offering you could pass that on to who really cares, because I don’t. How can you say you’re not judging when you make statements as such ” You do come across a little bitter”, “So I say to you instead of spewing your vermin”, “So Broady instead of being negative” REALLY NOW! I’m glad I gave you something to converse about. Bottom line at the end of the day the current management needs and must go for the better of all not just the few. I totally agree with (It’s about time) and their statements. If you were watching when President Obama took office he and the first lady Michelle Obama walked the Bush’s to their airplane watch them get on, watch the take off and waved them away. Most of us were elated. I think if that were to take place at (HADC) with the upper/lower management the same feeling would be ELATED! EVERYONE HAS THEIR OPINION I RESPECT YOURS AND HOPE YOU RESPECT MINE.

I was born by the river in a little tent, oh and just like the river I’ve been running ever since. It’s been a long, a long time coming but I know a change gonna come, Oh yes it will!!!

15. wow says:

Alright Broady! Loving it! But no not judging which is why I said “you seem.” I can’t judge someone I don’t know, or maybe I do know you. Nonetheless I was just telling you how it came across nothing more, doesn’t mean that’s what it is that’s just how it read. You are just entertaining to me. I was born by the river but cha-a-a-ange is going to come (in my Mahalia Jackson voice). LOL! As I said I was just enjoying conversation. Whatever needs to happen will happen. Why do you keep saying that you respect my opinion and you hope I respect yours? Is that the problem, you have been trying to offer your opinion at HADC and no one listened? I wish you the best in life and your future endeavors. I will offer one last suggestion though, proofread before you submit.

Oh and how is quoting the word of God spewing vermin?

16. Concerned says:

Why……………Why all of this madness?

17. Broady says:

Back at wow, Entertaining WOW! ECAEP ooops PEACE!

18. CHamp14 says:

Funny how a financial probe from Federal Investigators will suddenly prompt one to have a “desire move on”.

19. Smiling Angel says:

Just reading the paper and watching the news lets me think that due to the issue of the economy, some people have made some terrible decisions which put them in a bad direction. And will have to deal for the consequences. And for the ones who sat around and watched all the wrong doing and did nothing it will be just a matter of time before the finger is pointed at you!!!

20. Mystery Guest says:

And believe it or not, Mr. Bethea is doing the same thing in the Birmingham Housing Authority, miss spending money and pulling people off the waiting list fraudulently. The people who deserve to get on section 8 can forget it. I advised the Office of Inspector General of it, guess what, they never contacted back.

This man is pure FRAUD, trust me!