• atlanta mainstream

Griffin Circuit’s Johnnie Caldwell resigns judgeship after 15 years

April 19, 2010 — Another one bites the dust: Johnnie L. Caldwell Jr., a Superior Court judge in Fayette and adjoining counties for 15 years, resigned today effective at the end of the week.

In a handwritten letter to Gov. Sonny Perdue, Caldwell said he wanted “time to visit with my grandkids and maybe practice law.”

Caldwell, 63, appointed in 1995 to the Griffin Judicial Circuit post, was re-elected four times without opposition, most recently in 2008. He had served as the circuit’s district attorney for 13 years before that.

15 Responses to “Griffin Circuit’s Johnnie Caldwell resigns judgeship after 15 years”

1. FREEDOM says:

SUCH SAD NEWS !!! HE WAS THE BEST … TOO BAD AND SO SAD THAT IT WAS NOT PASCHALL ENGLISH !!!
      “FREEDOM”

2. howdy dowdy says:

Nahhh….Not sad news. One goes, another one comes. Shame he wasn’t packed up along with old Pappy.

3. Edgar says:

There has to be more to this. Judges don’t just resign overnight effective immediately. This hit the entire Griffin Superior Court by surprise. What is really going on here?

4. peachy keen says:

Good Riddance Caldwell!!!
      So glad this man is stepping down, he is such slime ball! He is the stereotypical judge that places more importance on personal connections on his rulings rather than using the LAW as the basis for them! This district should be leaping for joy that he is gone!!! Hmmmm wonder why he stepped down considering he was just elected??? Could there be a skeleton here Johnnie????

5. seeking justice says:

Good Riddance Caldwell. Maybe Judge Calloway will “resign” too. She is another Spalding County Judge who practices the law that she has made up , not the law that the State of Georgia has entrusted her to practice and oversee . I would like to see her gone so that she cannot ruin anyone elses life with her ” Good Ole Boy” attitude and cavalier conduct when deciding juvenile cases. Maybe the GBI will investigate her next.

6. peachy keen says:

The WHOLE district is corrupt! It needs a total overhaul! “Justice” shouldn’t only belong to the people that contributed to their judicial campaigns or for their buddies that appoint them to the local bank board of directors. FINALLY a win for the good guys, because this Dirty Old Man is GONE!

7. peachy keen says:

One more thing….. I find it hilarious that he resigned by handwritten letter. Are we to assume this OLD FART doesn’t know how to use a computer? Maybe he could piddle around with a computer course during his newly found free time. Or better yet maybe he can get some of his rosacea lasered off his red face.

8. Goddontlikeugly says:

Peachy Keen: I so agree! This man is a dirty old man who thought that the court room was his own little world. He was the dictator and all the women were his for the touching, feeling, etc. He did not rule based on rules or even evidence. Johnny how can the father who is a alcoholic who lets a 3 year old play next to a highway by himself, feeds him cheetos for supper and frozen pops for breakfast, lets him play outside in the winter in shorts and barefooted, never gives baths or brush teeth, and yard is full of trash a good father. This is your “irrelavant” evidence. Also since when is the court house open at 6pm at night adding cases on in another county for the next morning without nofiying the defendant or defending attorney. Isn’t this against the law? If not it should be. And since when does a judge tell a lawyer to draw up “whatever you want honey and I will sign it.’ Sounds like there is a inappropriate relationship. I only wish that he had been caught earlier before he ruined so many people’s lives and put hundreds of thousand of children in danger. I pray that he has just as many sleepless nights as he caused so many women to have.

9. Ellen says:

Judge Caldwell is a unfair judge. He makes up his own guide-lines when he sentences people. A 19 year old man got 30 years on charges(driving the car and accepting money) and his co-defender got 10 years for armed robbery and agg. assault(he beat the victim with a bat). He told the 19 year old that he could have given him life in prison plus forty years. This happened within the last few weeks. I’m glad that he’s gone, but that doesn’t help this young man. His family can’t afford a lawyer and no body wants to help.

10. Jim Hale says:

Hopfully the Governor will step in and find out what is really going on in his state, especailly this district. How many people suffered undo sentences and even verdits because this creep would take money from anyone…..what does that say about his character…I didn’t read that in his “hand written” letter. He’s not above the law and this just screams he has broken it in so many ways!!
      Somebody must have found some good stuff on him, a judge doesn’t just quit mid stream like this…hope we find out the truth. I’m sure he’s not the only one in that district…

11. Stew says:

I don’t know about Mr. Caldwell, but I know from personal experience that Tommy Hankinson’s courtroom has a lot of “home cooking”. Pity the poor father and his children if he has a lawyer who is not one of Tommy’s buddies. It sounds like this could be an 8th Judicial District issue. Maybe Tommy is next! *BIG SMILE*

12. Disappointed Father says:

Meet with him twice due to a family law issue, I am paying way too much in child support for kids that don’t attend a daycare yet I was charged by him to continue to pay even though it was shown that she only had the kids attended in daycare when she first got word I was taking the mother to court about it. Soon as that judge ruled against me what did she do but pull the kids back out of daycare. Yes, I am still overpaying, and finding it very difficult for me to make a living under what I am currently making. I LOVE TO SEE KARMA work out in this case.

13. The skeleton says:

13 years ago this demon was assigned my sexual abuse case. This monster let my father ( who raped beat and sometimes drugged me) walk free because he knew my fathers parents on a person basis. … The night before the hearing both grandparents were seen leaving his house by a private eye my mother had hired. When this was brought up in court my mother was kicked out of the court room for the rest of the trial. This man’s verdict was that I was making this up, that I hit myself to get the markings, and that at the age of three I was buying drugs on the street… He demanded that my mother bring me to his house every weekend, that she paid for the court fee and that she was to move from the county. This man is a piece of crap and I can honestly say I hate him. Thanks to him the abuse continued for 8 more years. I finally got out at the age of 11 and I haven’t seen him since then.

14. truthjustice says:

IT DOESN’T END IN GA CHECK OUT POLK COUNTY FL LOOK UP ALL THE CALDWELLS IN JAIL OR PRISON. THEY GET SPECIAL FAVORS THEY ARE WIFE BEATERS, STALKERS, MURDERERS, AND ALL IN ALL CORRUPT. I MISTAKENLY GOT INVOLVED WITH A MAN NAMED JOHNNY JR CALDWELL BD 9 12 56. I HAD TO TAKE AN INJUNCTION OUT AGAINST HIM FOR STALKING AND DV. HE VIOLATED IT ABOUT TEN TIMES BUT ONLY WENT TO JAIL LIKE TWO OR THREE AND IN THE END THE POLK COUNTY CLERK OF COURTS DIDN’T MAKE HIM PAY HIS FINES THE POLICE HERE PROTECT THE GOOD OL BOYS AND HARASS A TWENTY SIX YEAR OLD FEMALE. I BELIEVE HE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE DEATH OF MY FATHER NO I KNOW HE DID. THEY CONCEAL THE TRUTH AND ANYONE WHO WANTS IT OUT IN THE OPEN. THESE PEOPLE HATE WOMEN TO THE POINT OF MURDERING THEM AND HAVING THEM FOLLOWED AND STALKED. IT DOESN’T STOP AT THE GA BORDER CHECK OUT THE CORRUPTION OF THE POLK COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE AND GRADY JUDD AND THE JUDGES. IT WON’T STOP EVERYONES TOO AFRAID. I THINK THE CALDWELLS GO ALL THE WAY UP THE EAST COAST.

RIP